In Birmingham, all patients having hip resurfacing are followed-up by the operating surgeon indefinitely.
We recognize, that in Birmingham, there is a particular interest in the hip resurfacing technique allowing such detailed follow-up of patients that may not be possible in other centres in the UK and abroad. We have been anxious to document the results of all other centres performing this type of surgery. Patients having a Birmingham Hip Resurfacing at other centres in the UK and abroad are entered into the Oswestry Outcome Centre database and are followed-up by postal questionnaires annually.
Data from: Oswestry Outcome Centre, Institute of Orthopaedics, Orthopaedic and District Hospital NHS Trust Oswestry, Shropshire SY10 7AG, as of 22/11/99.
- Data from: Oswestry Outcome Centre, Institute of Orthopaedics, Orthopaedic and District Hospital NHS Trust Oswestry, Shropshire SY10 7AG, as of 22/11/99.
- Average age of THR patients on the Oswestry Hip Arthroplasty database is 65.2 years. (16.1 - 96.2).
- Average age of <55 yrs THR patients is 45.6 yrs for 1 yr follow-up, 47.9 years for 2 year follow-up.
- The Harris Hip Score has a maximum of 100.
- Pain, walking and range of movement all have a maximum of 6.
- Satisfaction has a maximum score of 4.
- For all scores, the higher the better.
This data shows that the results of the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing carried out in centres throughout the world compare favorably with the outcomes of conventional THR in all age groups and in particular compare favorably with the outcomes of THR in young patients.
© 2007 Smith & Nephew