Dr. Austin Chen is a board-certified, dual-fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon. He specializes in sports medicine surgery as well as comprehensive surgery of the hip, including labral tear injuries, hip preservation, hip arthroscopy, and hip replacement/reconstruction. Dr. Chen joined BoulderCentre for Orthopedics & Spine in 2017 and sees patients at our Boulder location.
As an orthopedic hip surgeon, Dr. Chen’s focus is on the treatment of hip pain and injuries, such as labral tears and femoroacetabular impingements (FAI). Having undergone extensive training, including a fellowship dedicated to hip arthroscopy and hip replacement, he is committed to offering his patients the highest level of hip care possible. In addition to being highly skilled in hip arthroscopy and hip preservation, he also subspecializes in the treatment of knee and shoulder injuries in athletes ranging from weekend warriors to professionals. Dr. Chen offers the most advanced and evidence-based treatments for rotator cuff tears and shoulder conditions, including the InSpaceTM implant procedure.
Dr. Chen is a US Ski & Snowboard Sports Medicine Physician and travels all over the world for Women's Alpine Skiing World Cup event coverage. He has authored or coauthored numerous research articles and book chapters in the field of hip and sports medicine surgery. He believes evidence/research-based medicine is the foundation of providing optimal patient care. He also believes in utilizing the most conservative and effective treatment options first, saving surgical options as a last resort.
Dr. Chen graduated from the University of Notre Dame with his Bachelor of Science degree in 2005. He received his medical degree and orthopedic surgery residency training from the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago in 2010 and 2015, respectively. In 2016, Dr. Chen completed a sports medicine fellowship at Taos Orthopaedic Institute. Following his first fellowship, he underwent a comprehensive hip fellowship at the American Hip Institute in Chicago, Illinois, under the training of hip specialist and innovator Dr. Benjamin Domb. His second fellowship focused on hip arthroscopy as well as minimally invasive robotic hip replacement, hip resurfacing, and soft tissue repairs around the hip.
- Hip surgery
- Sports medicine surgery
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Rotator cuff repair
- Labral repairs
- Shoulder stabilization
- Acromioclavicular (AC) joint reconstruction
- Biceps/Triceps tendon repairs at the elbow
- Bachelor of Science: University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN - 2005
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL - 2010
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL - 2015
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Taos Orthopaedic Institute, Taos, NM - 2016
- Hip Surgery Fellowship: American Hip Institute and Hinsdale Orthopaedics, Hinsdale, IL - 2017
Distinctions and Recognition
- International Society of Hip Arthroscopy
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Notre Dame Orthopaedic Society
- Associate Professor of Hip Surgery at Taos Orthopaedic Institute
- Master Instructor for Hip Arthroscopy at the Arthroscopy Association of North American
American Hip Institute
Dr. Chen is a proud member of the American Hip Institute. To learn more, please use the following links:
Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center
Dr. Chen sees patients from the Presbyterian/St. Luke’s system in Boulder but also operates at Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center and Midtown Surgical Center.
Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center
Professional Plaza West Office Building
1601 East 19th Avenue, Suite 3550
Denver, CO 80218
Dr. Chen is originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but has spent most of his free time in the mountains pursuing his love of skiing, mountain biking, hiking, and other outdoor activities. He and his wife, Lauren, a nutritionist, have two boys, Bodhi and Kannan, and a dog, Bailey.