Dr. Robert Leland is a board-certified, dual-fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in operative and nonoperative treatment of disorders of the foot and ankle and orthopedic trauma. He is Boulder’s first fellowship-trained orthopedic foot and ankle specialist and one of the most experienced foot and ankle surgeons in the Rocky Mountain Region. He is referred complex cases from all parts of Colorado as well as out of state.
Dr. Leland treats all facets of lower leg and foot and ankle disorders including traumatic injuries, post-traumatic deformity, arthritis, sports injuries, tendon disorders, bunions, and congenital deformities as well as upper and lower extremity trauma. He relies on his experience to utilize cost-effective, proven treatments but stays current with the latest minimally invasive techniques.
He is one of the first orthopedic surgeons in the country to perform ankle replacement surgery and has over 20 years of experience performing ankle replacements. While he is often referred complex cases which have failed multiple previous surgeries, he enjoys taking care of routine problems as well.
Dr. Leland has treated professional football, hockey, baseball, soccer, track, and lacrosse players as well as numerous collegiate athletes. He specializes in complex lower extremity, ankle, and foot injuries from rock climbing injuries.
In 2001, Dr. Leland moved to Boulder and joined Mapleton Hill Orthopaedics which merged with Boulder Orthopedics and became BoulderCentre for Orthopedics & Spine. He is Boulder’s first fellowship-trained orthopedic foot and ankle specialist.
- Foot and ankle—comprehensive surgical and nonsurgical management
- Complex foot and ankle injuries
- Acute orthopedic trauma
- Fracture care
- Sports injuries of the foot and ankle
- Total ankle arthroplasty (ankle replacement)
- First MTP Joint Replacement
- Ankle joint preservation
- Post-traumatic deformities such as fracture malunions and nonunions
- Platelet-rich plasma injections
- General orthopedics
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Doctor of Medicine: Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
- Orthopedic Surgery Pre-Residency Research Fellowship: University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- General Surgery Internship: Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
- Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Orthopedic Trauma Fellowship: AO Foundation, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden, Germany
Distinctions and Recognition
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- AO Alumni Association
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Scientific Trust
- Editorial Board Foot Education
- Serves on the faculty of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Colorado as a clinical assistant professor
- Served as assistant professor and chief of foot and ankle surgery in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at Wayne State University
- He is the go-to orthopedic surgeon for many of the area’s recreational and elite level hockey players and figure skaters.
- He has treated professional and collegiate baseball, hockey, triathlon, cycling, and track athletes as well as numerous recreational athletes.
Dr. Leland excels in nonoperative and surgical treatments of both routine and complex disorders of the foot and ankle including congenital, arthritic, traumatic, and sports-related conditions.
Dr. Leland believes in fully educating his patients about the underlying causes of their disorders and thoroughly presenting the nonsurgical and surgical options so his patients can be actively involved in the treatment decision process. He strives to try all reasonable nonsurgical options prior to recommending surgery. He incorporates sound surgical techniques which have stood the test of time as well as cutting-edge, state-of-the-art options when deemed appropriate.
Outside of work, he is most interested in spending time with his wife and three children and supporting their athletic, theatrical, and educational endeavors. He also enjoys playing hockey, skiing, fitness, and reading.