Dr. Brian Blackwood is Boulder’s first fellowship-trained hip and knee replacement specialist. Originally from Montana, Dr. Blackwood joins us from his practice at the Coon Joint Replacement Institute in St. Helena, California.
The minimally invasive surgical technique with state-of-the-art joint replacement technology allows Dr. Blackwood to reduce pain, restore mobility, and promote a quick return to normal activities for patients suffering from joint pain.
- Robotic-assisted total knee, partial knee, and hip replacement
- Direct anterior hip replacement
- Minimally invasive total knee replacement surgery
- Knee arthroscopy
- Complex knee and select hip revision surgery
- Undergraduate: Carroll College, Helena, MT
- Medical School: University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Orthopedic Residency: The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Adult Reconstruction Fellowship: Coon Joint Replacement Institute, St. Helena, CA
Dr. Blackwood received his medical degree from the University of Washington in Seattle. He completed his orthopedic surgery residency at The University of New Mexico. His fellowship training was at the Coon Joint Replacement Institute with Dr. Adam Freedhand and Dr. Thomas Coon, where he was asked to stay on as a partner. He is board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. Including his time in California at the Coon Joint Replacement Institute, Dr. Blackwood has performed over 2,000 joint replacement procedures.
Dr. Blackwood has a longstanding connection with Boulder County. His grandparents lived in Longmont for over 50 years. His grandfather was a dentist in Longmont until his retirement, which was spent raising cattle north of Longmont. Dr. Blackwood spent many summers working on their ranch outside of town and even won a blue ribbon in the Boulder County Fair showing cattle as a teenager. As an undergraduate at Carroll College in Helena, Montana, Dr. Blackwood was a 2-time Academic All-American football player. He still enjoys a variety of sports, outdoor activities, and spending time with his wife, Cheryl, and children.